“Five Dimensions of Research Ethics” Published in Academic Medicine
P.I. Program faculty Dr. James DuBois and Dr. Alison Antes published an article last month in Academic Medicine titled “Five Dimensions of Research Ethics: A Stakeholder Framework for Creating a Climate of Research Integrity.” The five dimensions include:
- Normative ethics, in the classic sense of determining right from wrong
- Compliance with regulations, laws, and policies
- Rigor and reproducibility, or what researchers typically mean by “good science”
- Social value, which recognizes the priorities of funding bodies and society as a whole
- Workplace relationships of quality
The article also discusses how elements of the framework might intersect or conflict, and how to identify potential leaders and enact practical interventions based on the five dimensions.